This white paper offers views, examples, and lessons learned from the perspective of an organization that has built several successful examples of cyberinfrastructure for a growing community of researchers and educators in the geosciences.
Great stuff here. Agree 100% with your lessons learned:
1. One size will not fit all
2. Nurture short user feedback loops
3. Involve developers in support
4. Leverage community efforts
5. Emphasize discipline-independence
6. Favor loose coupling among components
7. Drive development with tests
Thanks, Rich. Length limitations for the white papers forced omission of another lesson:
8. You won't get it right the first time
which is loosely consistent with the vision of development as evolution, but conflicts a bit with backwards compatibility. These could almost all be bumper stickers ...
Great paper Russ. And great work bringing all
that data through the netCDF API.